Saturday, August 15, 2009

Home again

I have arrived home again, but my arrival is bittersweet. I was making progress in improving my standing with the Supreme Court when violence once again broke out on the home world. Why does this always seem to happen while I am away?

Fortunately, the wealth I earn as a star captain affords my family some protection, but it is still unnerving to be across the galaxy and learn that violent riots are taking place not far from where your babies sleep.

To add insult to injury, the pro-Fed contingent on the Intergalactic Summit has taken up the cause of challenging everything any member of the ILF posts. It's frustrating to be told the will of the Intaki people by a Jin-Mei who has never lived in the system. It's almost worse to be subjected to the idealized memories of someone who grew up on the planet but hasn't been back in years.

It would be so much easier to live up to the accusations they make; to turn terrorist and attack anything that moved in the system. I sometimes wish one of them would show up in Intaki so that I could give them a welcome like the one I received on my first visit to the home world.

But doing so would be to turn from the Ida and to debase myself. I would be no better than the pirates I have sworn to oppose. No, I must continue on suffering the fools and their name calling.

On the brighter side, my return to Intaki allowed me to negotiate two mutual aid agreements with alliances interested in operating in the Intaki area. Given USF's recent departure, these new agreements come at an opportune time.

While I do not relish the thought of armed conflict, I am not so blind as to think that the pirates and opportunists will not be beaten back without a fight.

I must admit, though, it is nice to sleep in my own bed.

No comments: