Sunday, September 12, 2010

Homesick blues

My annual trip to Villore is scarcely under way and I am homesick already. This year, I am focusing my efforts entirely on lobbying the Supreme Court and developing my contacts there. The majority of the court is still against the idea of a separate Intaki State, but I believe there are a few justices who, on a philosophical basis at least, agree with the idea that a member of the Federation does ultimately have the right to secede.

I have tried to argue the position that the primary political right of the individual and of political communities must be to secede from any larger political entity, whether they were born into it, were forced to join it, or voluntarily joined it. If one denies or relinquishes that right, one is little more than a slave--and no agreement to become a slave can be legally or morally binding.

Secession of individuals and communities does not have to mean war and violence. It should be a natural evolutionary feature of all political entities. We suggest practical and nonviolent means by which such separation can occur and the kinds of networks and confederations that could be created to replace oppressive nation states.

But politics and secession are far from my mind tonight. Tonight I would much rather be in my garden, sitting by my pond and watching the goldfish dart about. In my quarters here in the Supreme Courts law school, it is cold and dry and metallic. Like much of the Gallente Federation, it is as far removed from Intaki as I can possibly imagine.

No comments: